Home Forums Mountains – Closed The Official "Captain's Log" thread

This topic contains 509 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  matty 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 510 total)
  • Author

rick b
    Participant

thanks!  it was amazing and since we havent been getting the super regular pow that Utah (and other spots) have been getting,  it just was an extra awesome few days.      (also the fact that those clowns just down the road in bigsky got jackshit… 🙂

niemoid
    Participant

Day 11 – took my girl and two of her coworkers for a warm, spring-like day. Got drunk, got muddy. Tons of fun. Day 12 – Solo trip, a few fresh inches atop the usual concrete hard pack. Played around on the Nug until the sea of Carhartts began to merge with the young gapers and parents stalled and strewn about the run. I prefer to choose my turns instead of dodging human obstacles. Day 13 – First day on a new (to me) Deep Reach 159. Feeling confident toward the end of my first run, I either weighted the nose or booted out and slammed HARD on a toeside turn. Flew horizontally through the air, flipped, tweaked my left ankle, elicited at least one “are you ok?” call from the lifty, and was forced to take it easy for the rest of the day. Pics to come when the ankle starts changing colors. Do we have an official injury thread?

Interested to hear your thoughts on the Deep Reach, I posted mine in the US thread. If it funny you made the comment about the the weighted nose/booted out. I had a strange occurrence a couple of times my first day on it. Happened when I would transition from hardpack to softer snow and initiate a turn, I caught the nose a couple of times and went down. That hasn’t happened to me on another board.

Sounds similar. It happened so fast, and I just remember feeling like I completely lost the tail of the board. The nose catching and pulling the board out from under me would make sense.

notsak
    Participant

here’s a video from the weekend. warning: ice axes, harnesses, skiing, and dipsy doodling are all seen

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  notsak.

Mike
    Participant

one of the best days I have ever spent on snow..

CJS
    Participant

Fuck everything about that was awesome, thanks for sharing!

Tekniq33
    Participant

🔥🔥🔥

rick b
    Participant

double dang

El Che
    Participant

Fantastic!

Mr. Irrelevant
    Participant

Damn mike that was seriously sick

notsak
    Participant

mike, that snow looks amazing! i need to get down to the tetons at some point.

minor point, but based on where you were pointing, i don’t think your first ECT result was down 92 cm. i think you were just reading that off the probe which was sticking out of the snow by quite a bit. i’m guessing you realized this when you watched the video. an ECT11 result down 92 cm is terrifying and would send me home immediately!

Mr. Irrelevant
    Participant

what is ECT?

89c51
    Participant

Velvet Hammer
    Participant

one of the best days I have ever spent on snow..

Wow! Thanks for the video and education.

Spenser
    Participant

day 39 with deep blower. hurt ankle at the end, but I think it’s rideable. a friend put this clip up of us on a party run. will put more together when he sends the rest.

Mike
    Participant

mike, that snow looks amazing! i need to get down to the tetons at some point. minor point, but based on where you were pointing, i don’t think your first ECT result was down 92 cm. i think you were just reading that off the probe which was sticking out of the snow by quite a bit. i’m guessing you realized this when you watched the video. an ECT11 result down 92 cm is terrifying and would send me home immediately!

thanks for the feedback everyone!  This is what I submitted to the Avi center last night.

“Choker!! ECTN11 @ 20cm down Q3, ECTN16 @ 40cm down Q2. Rain crust observed 95cm down. Over the past 24 hours rapid cornice growth has occurred. Not much reaction when jumping on the cornices aside from storm snow pulling off which is to be expected. I did pry on the back of the pit with my shovel after the ECT and was able to get the entire block to fail cohesively on the rain crust. Choose your terrain wisely and enjoy the snow before the temps warm.”

look me up when you head up this way! This was from today..

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 510 total)

The forum ‘Mountains – Closed’ is closed to new topics and replies.