Home Forums Goods – closed The Official Korua Shapes Thread

This topic contains 398 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  coleslawed 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 399 total)
  • Author

CJS
    Participant

Welcome! Love my Apollo regular.Def going to try out a Korua + next winter.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  CJS.

F1EA
    Participant

Here’s a pic of the two boards above with the Puzzle. Wish I had taken more pics to share, but between myself and a couple buddies, we bought a shitload of Koruas this season: Stealth 56, Tranny 54, Tranny 57, Apollo Goofy 56, Apollo Regular 52, Apollo Regular 56, and Puzzle 61. Had to try them all after getting hooked on Yearning for Turning vol.2 last season.

I think I need a Puzzle. But if they had a ~159 Apollo I’d be all over that one…

CJS
    Participant

IF someone wants to buy my Apollo 156 regular, I will sell it for a good deal.  Going to grab another for next year.  @F1AE I usually ride a 160-163 board and the 156 is plenty of board for me.  Floats me like no other.  If interested, selling mine.

psklt
    Participant

I really want an Apollo 152, but also kind of want that 56^…269mm waist is a little more than I like, but that’ll be a solid trench digger for my small boots. I have to ride my tranny finder first on thursday or so to see if I like it enough to keep it

F1EA
    Participant

IF someone wants to buy my Apollo 156 regular, I will sell it for a good deal. Going to grab another for next year. @F1AE I usually ride a 160-163 board and the 156 is plenty of board for me. Floats me like no other. If interested, selling mine.

Really?? hmmmm is yours a Sintered base?

I’m 170 lbs (77kg). Fish 161 floats me perfect. Landlord 159 floats me well but not unsinkable. Dupraz 165 = unsinkable.

CJS
    Participant

I believe it is extruded base. I am not sure but believe the year I bought mine, they were extruded.  BUT that same year, the website said sintered so that is why I don’t know for certain.

I’ve had it in 1 1/2 feet and had no issues keeping the nose up.

Triple8Sol
    Participant

what’s your favorite of the bunch? I’d still like to get on a Tranny Finder. love the Cafe Racer.

I would say the Stealth 56. It’s the exact same specs as the Tranny 57, just with the tail cutout. Didn’t get a chance to ride it in pow, but theoretically that should help sink the tail just a tiny bit over the TF. Both have great edgehold with the stiff flex and shallow sidecut, and the additional tail allows you to drive off the back foot significiantly more than the equivalent Apollo. The 56 is is essentially the same specs as well, just with a much shorter tail (also swallow and asym obviously) and longer nose, which made it better in pow but not as good for trench digging. Just for reference the Apollo 52 is the same when compared to the TF 54.

interesting that you say the TF isn’t great in pow… What factors made you feel that way? I got the 54 to fit in between my short 52 caxx and 56 hovercraft. On paper it looks like it’d be pretty good in pow with the taper, nose/tail width, and if i set it back all the way. Wont have it til wednesday though.

The board is just too stiff tip-to-tail for what I like in a pow deck. If they softened up the nose a bit, it would be much better, but then you’d sacrifice carving ability which is what I found to be its strong suit. For obvious reasons the Apollo floats better, but even then not as well as other pow decks I’ve had this season.

Tekniq33
    Participant

Rode @lilteichmonster Tranny Finder this weekend back to back with my Yes Optimistic 157. The Korua is MUCH stiffer. I liked it for the ability to absolutely rail a turn, even in the crap conditions, but it was just to stiff for me. Personally I could not really load the tail to ollie and I found I was able to get more air on the Yes and pop off side hits easier.

Still a sick board with an awesome shape (and a great sticker job/ripoff by my brother) but for what I am looking for the more playful nature of the optimistic is what I want.

nmb
    Participant

I picked up Chris’ Apollo 56, assuming it’ll ride similar to the Puzzle but maybe a little looser in the tail. I’m thinking if I’m not impressed with it, I’m gonna cut it into a moontail and squash the nose a bit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CJS
    Participant

Rode @lilteichmonster Tranny Finder this weekend back to back with my Yes Optimistic 157. The Korua is MUCH stiffer. I liked it for the ability to absolutely rail a turn, even in the crap conditions, but it was just to stiff for me. Personally I could not really load the tail to ollie and I found I was able to get more air on the Yes and pop off side hits easier. Still a sick board with an awesome shape (and a great sticker job/ripoff by my brother) but for what I am looking for the more playful nature of the optimistic is what I want.

Really interesting to me that the Optimistic is that much softer.  I found by PYL pretty stiff (too stiff) and didn’t think my Apollo was too stiff – just right.  Will be interesting to see how I feel about the Pencil I scooped from Shredder.

Also, my Apollo was a 2016, so I wonder if the 2017 line got stiffer?  You will have to tell me how you feel about the stiffness Mike.

Mr. Irrelevant
    Participant

I picked up Chris’ Apollo 56, assuming it’ll ride similar to the Puzzle but maybe a little looser in the tail. I’m thinking if I’m not impressed with it, I’m gonna cut it into a moontail and squash the nose a bit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

please don’t take a saw to a beautiful board. Send it my way if you don’t like. Do you do layaway?

Rcotto
    Participant

I have a 57 TF and a 56 Apollo. I’m a heavier dude at 205lb and would prefer both to be softer. I enjoy both as rippers on groomers. I bought the Apollo in hopes that it would be softer than the TF, but it’s comparable. I have ridden the TF in waist deep Utah and Tahoe powder. Float was awesome, just too stiff for my liking.

nmb
    Participant

I’m gonna fudge it up real good!! Kidding kidding..but maybe.

@CJS My Puzzle was a 16/17 – part of the reason I didn’t love it was the stiffness but I think the tail shape had something to do with it. Liked it, just didn’t love it.  Hoping to get the Apollo on some slush a week or two from now.  Ribs hurt, but I need to get one more day in.

Triple8Sol
    Participant

Also while we’re on the subject, the Apollo 52 & TF 54 are just a touch softer than their longer counterparts (Apollo 56, TF 57, Stealth 56), but still pretty stiff.

CJS
    Participant

If I already wrote this, well I am dumb, but I spoke to a guy who will get some of the Korua + next year and he said those are even stiffer!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 399 total)

The forum ‘Goods – closed’ is closed to new topics and replies.