Home Forums Goods – closed The Official Korua Shapes Thread

This topic contains 398 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  coleslawed 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 399 total)
  • Author

Peter
    Participant

Tranny, Pencil, and pencil split if I remember correctly. I haven’t rode/flexed one, but I was as stiff as possible. Most boards aren’t nearly as stiff as they were 15 years ago

Shredder
    Participant

Has anyone been on the Stealth 150? The specs look good for a shorter board!

float (sqcm) 4055
    effective edge(mm) 1180
    running length (mm) 1040
    tip width (mm) 313
    waist width (mm) 260
    tail width (mm) 287
    avg. sidecut radius (m) 7,6
    setback (mm) 20
    recommended stance (cm) 55
    adjust. range(cm) 50-64
    board weight (kg) 2,6

nmb
    Participant

Rode the Apollo yesterday in some squishy/slush conditions. More maneuverable than the Puzzle, didn’t ride too hard since I’m nursing a broken rib.

I’ve come to the verdict that I do like the Koruas I’ve had but I have no idea where they fit in my quiver or what type of day I’d be reaching for it.

CJS
    Participant

How was flex compared to the puzzle?

I reach for mine on groomer days (wish I would have had one this past weekend at Vail).  Just digs trenches so much harder than my other boards I’ve been on.  Also reach for it on pow days especially when I know it will be chopped up quickly.   Have you ridden them in pow yet?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  CJS.

Mr. Irrelevant
    Participant

vail was awesome this weekend for a groomer carving day. crushed it on my skippy surf

psklt
    Participant

Had a very full day on the TF yesterday and I can confidently say I’m in love with it.  4″ fresh on top of some leftover stashes in the trees and soft groomers.  I love how this thing rides pow.  The extra taper makes up for the lack of setback IMO and as soon as you touch freshies it gets really surfy without feeling like there’s too much tail.  Trees were a blast most of the day, carving groomers was excellent, and I spent a little time in the park for once and had a good time practicing methods and spins.  I’ve finally found a board I like enough to keep in the quiver.  Still want an Apollo 52 though

nmb
    Participant

Pretty similar IMO, from the rear insert pack up it felt almost identical, shorter tail length and shape definitely made quick slashes easier.

I rode my Puzzle at Powmow and liked it a lot wide open in the deeps but it’s not as..exciting of a ride as my Cheetah or my old Fish.

psklt
    Participant

Ok so I take back a little bit of what I said about the TF.  Got it in over 12″ of fresh all day today.  Started off the day with my usual lower angle pow stash and that was a mistake.  12+” with the wrong wax and not enough setback had me sinking every other god damn minute.  I was so pissed because it felt like I was riding a cambered twin fighting to keep the nose up even with the taper and rockered nose.  I ride that stuff all the time when it’s deep and have never gotten stuck nor do I have to put any effort into keeping the nose up on the con artist and hovercraft.  As soon as you pick up speed you’re golden though.  So I headed over to some steeper trees that were fucking perfect and the TF just woke right the fuck up.  Felt as amazing as it did the first day.  Basically as long as it’s steep enough to carry speed it’ll float great, surf around trees and banks sooo smoothly, and make you want to find and pop off of every natural feature you can.  I dig the fuck out of it.  4/5 in my book I can see myself reaching for it almost any day of the week.  I’d give it a perfect 5 if it had a 2″ setback.  Coffee and pow stoke rant.

matty
    Participant

I don’t know how they’re measuring setback, but they claim that the TF, Stealth, and Asytoni all have 2 cm of setback. If your TF has the same setback and similar taper as my Asytoni, I am surprised that you didn’t get good low-angle, low speed float out of it!

nmb
    Participant

I believe he’s on the 54

psklt
    Participant

I am indeed on the 54.  2cm is only 3/4 inch setback, whereas I’m used to and prefer around 2 inches or 5cm.

The Stealth looks rad, I dig the tail shape.  I also find it interesting that the Stealth 150 has the same exact specs as the TF 154

matty
    Participant

I have no idea how Korua is measuring setback, but there is no way that I only have 3/4″ of setback on my Asytoni! I have about a foot more nose than tail.

Mig
    Participant

Setback is measured from the center of the effective edge, and not the overall length of the board. So it is possible to have only 2cm of it, or even a centered stance, and still have a waaaay longer nose than tail. The Dupraz D1 has a forward set stance (forward of the effective edge’s center), yet still has a longer nose than tail.

Some definitions to help nerd out on specs:

Nose length = distance from widest part of nose to the tip

Tail length = distance from widest part of tail to the tip

Nose Blend length = distance from the end of sidecut to the widest part of nose

Tail Blend length =  distance from the end of sidecut to the widest part of tail

Contact length = length of the base in contact with a flat surface at rest.

Nose Kick length = distance from the end of contact to the nose tip

Tail Kick length = distance from the end of contact to the tail tip

Effective edge = Nose Blend length + sidecut length + Tail Blend length

Overall length = Nose length + Effective Edge + Tail length

Overall length = Nose Kick length + Contact length + Tail Kick length

Taper = Nose width – Tail width

Setback = distance from center of effective edge to center of stance.

psklt
    Participant

thanks for the info @mig!  So yeah while the TF has only 3/4″ setback, I measured somewhere around 7″ more nose than tail from the ends to the center of the bindings.  So in theory I shouldn’t have had any issues in the low angle deeps.  I think the spring wax played a significant role in slowing me down then once the nose buried its self it was like slamming the brakes.  I think triple8 said he had some float issues on the TF too.  Is what it is, I still love it for everything else.  I’ll rewax it tonight and get back on it tomorrow for some leftovers.  18″ in the last 24 hours

Shredder
    Participant

Setback is measured from the center of the effective edge, and not the overall length of the board. So it is possible to have only 2cm of it, or even a centered stance, and still have a waaaay longer nose than tail. The Dupraz D1 has a forward set stance (forward of the effective edge’s center), yet still has a longer nose than tail. Some definitions to help nerd out on specs: Nose length = distance from widest part of nose to the tip Tail length = distance from widest part of tail to the tip Nose Blend length = distance from the end of sidecut to the widest part of nose Tail Blend length = distance from the end of sidecut to the widest part of tail Contact length = length of the base in contact with a flat surface at rest. Nose Kick length = distance from the end of contact to the nose tip Tail Kick length = distance from the end of contact to the tail tip Effective edge = Nose Blend length + sidecut length + Tail Blend length Overall length = Nose length + Effective Edge + Tail length Overall length = Nose Kick length + Contact length + Tail Kick length Taper = Nose width – Tail width Setback = distance from center of effective edge to center of stance.

Cool, very interesting @mig ! You dont happen to know the sum to get the float surface area of a board eg: nose width x waist x tail x length= 4326sqcm? A board being an irregular shape?

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 399 total)

The forum ‘Goods – closed’ is closed to new topics and replies.